Skyrim: Re-mastered Edition Playstation 4
By: Edward Alex Lively
• Gameplay Bugs
In the case of Skyrim the gameplay bugs I will discuss have been around since at least the release of the dlc (downloadable content) packs. Flame me if you must. I don't care. These are gameplay bugs that have existed since I last played the game on my steam account back in 2013. One would’ve thought that in light of Bethesda releasing the game to next generation consoles they would’ve seen to it these gameplay bugs were corrected once and for all.
• Audio Bug
When my character briefly submerged underwater while on a quest in Felkeep dungeon then walked back onto land the audio glitched. It sounded like I was still under water. It wasn't an isolated incident either. It continues to happen at random times after the character swims underwater then walks back onto land.
• Lakeview Manor
This is a house you can build once becoming what is called Thane of Falkreath. It's a special title after doing favors for the local lord. You are then granted a parcel of land. Once the house is fully built and should you choose to build the kitchen, there seems to be a persistent graphical glitch. Anytime you step into the kitchen area and swivel the character in a particular direction, everything minus the doors and the walls simply vanish before reappearing. It doesn't always happen but it is enough so that if you are trying to access one of the cupboards it’s quite trying.
• Weapon Rack IssuesLakeview Manor can have weapon racks constructed along certain walls should you so choose. Heaven help you if you try to ACTUALLY place weapons upon the weapon racks. For the racks in the bedroom on the first floor and the rack located just behind the dining area will not take them. The racks will send the weapons flying in another direction as if possessed by some ancient evil entity. The spirit in the bedroom will occasionally be kind and simply hold the sword or whatnot up against the wall rather than allow you to place it upon the rack where it belongs.
• Dress Mannequin IssuesThe mannequin in the basement will be damned before it will allow you to place a helmet upon it’s head. It desires to see what is going on all times!
• Garden IssuesApparently only certain ingredients can be grown there, even the ones that it will let you plant. In particular the plant Creep Cluster refuses to grow no matter WHAT you do. It's clear the garden WILL NOT have anything to do with a plant having a first name of Creep!
• Follower Assistance Issue
I don’t know about the other followers yet, but that Lydia is a stubborn ox. Very rarely will she go up or down stairs when she accompanies you on quests. While on that topic it's also worth mentioning that several times when entering the Dwarven ruins Lydia simply vanished! I had to completely exit the ruins only to find her standing outside. I had to dismiss her quickly then re-obtain her before she walked off. Once I did that only then was she able to follow me inside. Sometimes when she vanished I had to return to the Lakeview house to fetch her then return to the ruins.
• Follower Item Limit Issue
This is a good one. This is an issue I never encountered before until the game was released for next-gen. I crafted a set of Dwarven armor for Lydia and gave it to her. Later I improved upon it. When I attempted to give her the shield back the game told me it was too heavy. After a short Google Search, yes I confirmed it was a bug. I found a work around by dropping the item on the ground then having Lydia pick the item up. I also found that as a result of this gameplay bug Lydia is not able to hold anything else. For the time being I don't even bother with the followers. It's too much of a hassle.
• Farm animals die & unable to be replacedApparently once the chickens die that’s it! They’re gone for good! No option appears in Lydia’s menu to replace them due to excessive giant, bandit, and/or wolf attacks. When the cow died I was able to replace that. So maybe this doesn’t count as a bug. Take it for what you will.
• Questing Bugs
Certain quests seem to be permanently bugged to the point where the quest will not complete once you finish the objectives. One in particular is a quest where you go in search of a hunting party. The quest is called, “Locate Valdr’s Hunting Party.” Once you complete or attempt to complete the objectives for the quest, the floating arrow above his head permanently remains. The quest is also not removed from your active quest log to your completed quest log. That's just one example.
I'm sure you'll have the naysayers that will say, “Well you have to consider how old the game is.” Then there will probably be statements most likely to the point of, “If you have that much of a problem with all the bugs then don’t play it.” There’s just one problem little with that. I already spent the money and now I'm stuck with it!!!
When I buy a product I expect it to work without any problems or at least very little difficulty. I'm sure most of you are the same way. The gameplay bugs are not simple issues that can be just waved off dismissively. They are game breaking and they NEED to be fixed. Would you expect a company like Activision-Blizzard to sit back on their laurels and let a large title of theirs continue to glitch? Hell no!!! They’d respond to customer feedback and act accordingly by releasing a patch to address as many issues possible. And they would continue to do so until all problems were finally resolved.
In my opinion I believe Bethesda should step up and address these issues. They owe it to their paying customers. The same customers keeping their lights on. Well I hope you enjoyed reading my review and what I thought of Skyrim: Re-mastered Edition. Because of the issues mentioned, I give the game an overall rating of 8.5. The biggest game breaker for me honestly was the broken quest system. I can look past the occasional glitch with the graphics. The broken and overly glitched quests that is integral to the game, I cannot look past. Bethesda released an older game to new consoles knowing it was still broken. Shame on them!
At the time of this review I have a level 38 male Nord barbarian. I am just now starting to dip into the Thieves Guild questline as I like to take my time to enjoy it. I recommend you do the same. If you should encounter the glitches or problems I have, then take the same course I did and report it through their website or post on their official forums. I'm sure you'll get the same response I did as well. The standard scripted response from one of their reps about how they promise to pass my concerns on to their team.
As for a posting I made on their technical forum seeking answers it went with no reply last time I checked about two weeks ago. At the bottom of this posting, I'll post relevant links regarding this game. I hope you enjoyed this review. If you have any questions or comments feel free to email at Kronoso1979@gmail.com or add me on twitter @kronoso1979.